Melton College


Showing FAQs in the category: Agents. Found 120 results.

Do I have to stay in Homestay?

We believe staying in local homes, carefully selected by the College, gives students a great opportunity to practise their English. However, we can assist students in finding a variety of other accommodation options, including local hotels, hostels, or self catering apartments. Students under 18, staying with friends and families in their own accommodation must pay a supplement to cover full-board lunches at the College and a local bus pass. 

Read More
What type of restuarants are there in York?

For a small city York has an excellent independent restaurant scene! As well as finding a number chain restaurants, there are independent restaurants and cafes to suit all tastes and budgets. We have a list of places we personally recommend but a great place to start is also “The Good Food Guide” and “Indie York”

Read More
Will I have to share a room?

Student’s under 18 may be required to share a room with a student from a different lanaguage group.

How long will it take to get from my Homestay to the College?

All our Homestay Accomodation is within 3km of the College, and many are within walking distance.

Read More
How much will it cost to get from my Homestay accommodation to the College?

Bus passes are included for students on homestay extra. For other students, the prices for First buses in York are as follows: FirstDay £4.40, FirstWeek £17.00 and FirstMonth £50.00 (Prices for other companies in York may vary).

Read More
What can you expect from your Homestay?

Staying in Homestay accomodation means that you will live as a part of a local household. Please ‘Read more’ to see what to expect.

Read More
My child is on a course at Melton College, what do I do if I am worried about anything?

We appriciate it can be stressful when your child is away from home, especially if it is the first time.

Read More
What extra care and support is given to students under 18?

All students under 18 (except, in exceptional circumstances,  16 & 17 year olds on General English Courses) must be on Homestay Extra, unless staying in their own accommodation. Students under 18 must obey the college regulations, especially curfew times, set for our younger students. Students under 18 are not allowed to leave York, and those…

Read More
What does the College do?

Our aim is to help our students communicate. We do this by providing a caring environment where we know our students needs. We do this celebrating our, history, our size and our location; making the most of what we can offer. Download our mission statement to see our aims for each of our courses!

Read More
What is Homestay Extra?

All Young Learners and students under 18 are on Homestay Extra (unless accommodation is not being provided through the College). Homestay Extra includes full board, a local bus pass and airport transfers.

Do you offer airport transfers?

The College can arrange airport transfers for students for a fee. The transfer service is included in the fees for students on Homestay Extra (only sundays, from given airports at given times) please ‘read more’ for details.

Read More
What are the booking conditions?

The College has a number of booking conditions which you have to agree to on booking. Please ‘read more’ for full summary.

Read More
What is the College’s data protection policy?

Melton College, York is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We take privacy seriously and take great care to protect your personal information.

Read More
What are the rules of the road in the UK?

In the UK, cars drive on the left. When you cross the road, you should look right, look left and then look right again before crossing. Cars have right of way on the road and pedestrians should only cross at marked pedestrian crossings.

Where can I find places of worship in York?

In the College, students are invited to use the Prayer Room for private prayers. We would ask you to respect the privacy of students using the room for this purpose. Please ‘read more’ to see list of places of worship in or near York.

Read More
What do I do if I am ill and cannot attend class?

If you are ill, you, or your host MUST RING the College to let us know that you are not attending school. (01904) 622250

I am a long term student, can I take a break during my course?

Some long term students may wish to take a break at some point during their course. The College is happy for students to do so, however, all breaks must be agreed with the College in advance.

Read More
What rules do I need to follow on excursions?

Please check you have received and understood any safety information given to you before visits and excursions. Make sure you follow safety instructions given on the trip either verbally or in writing by the staff leading the trip or by staff employed at the venue. ‘Read More’ for full list of rules.

Read More
What happens if there is a fire?

There are fire safety notices in all the classrooms and in all the common areas around the College. Please read these carefully and ask if there is anything you do not understand.

Read More
What are the College’s opening hours?

The College and grounds are open every weekday from 08.30~17.00. The College is not open at the weekend.

Read More
What are the rules in class?

In order to get the most out of your experience at the College, there are a number of rules we expect students to follow in class. Please ‘Read More’ for details

Read More
What do I do if I have an injury at the College?

A number of staff are First Aid trained and the designated First Aid Point is at Reception

Read More
Do I need to tell the College about any allergies or illness?

In order to look after you, we must know if you have any allergies or illnesses.

Read More
What do I do if I need to see a dentist?

If you require a dentist, you can ask the Welfare Officer to arrange an appointment. You will be expected to pay for treatment, and unless in great pain, you are unlikely to be given an appointment immediately

What do I do if I need to see a doctor?

If you need to see a doctor please speak to our Welfare Officer, if appropriate the College will arrange an appointment with a doctor. If you are unable to attend College, please ask your host to ring the College Welfare Officer, who will arrange the most appropriate course of action.

What will my course be like?

We have a range of courses for students of all ages and abilities from Elementary to Advanced levels! All our courses are based in the College building so all our students get the same high standard of facilities.

Read More
What is the emergency contact number?

The emergency mobile number is an emergency service for matters that cannot wait until the next working morning! The emergency contact number should be used when emergency contact is needed outside of the College’s regular opening hours.

Read More
What is Melton College’s safeguarding policy?

Melton College has a moral and legal obligation to provide students with the highest possible standard of care. Melton College is committed to devising and implementing policies so that all staff are aware of their responsibilities to safeguard children from harm and abuse.

Read More
What time is curfew?

When at Melton College, if you are under 18, the College will, in certain circumstances, make decisions on behalf of your parents. The College has decided that all students under the age of 18 should return home by certain curfew times. See ‘Read More’ for details.

Read More
What are the rules for students under 18?

If you are under 18 years old then the law says that the College is responsible for you. This does not mean we think you are a child but it does mean that we must think about what is best for you in the way that a parent would.

Read More