Click here to log in

Do students have the right to free healthcare in the UK?

FAQs: Welfare and Safeguarding

Do students have the right to free healthcare in the UK?

Emergency care is always provided free of charge. Additional care, including routine visits to a doctor are not.  It is a complicated area as the exact answer does vary from country to country.

Please visit the National Health Service website for more information.

What are my (my Child’s) legal rights in the UK?

You (your child) is protected and constrained by UK law.  This may, in some cases, seem more severe than in your country (for example, the minimum age for buying cigarettes) or is may seem more relaxed.

The important point is that you must obey (or your child must obey) UK law.  Part of Parent al

Read More
Does the College hold fire drills?

We hold a minimum of two fire (evacuation) drills every year. In addition, the fire alarms and fire doors are tested every Monday at 1330.

What is ‘a safe environment’?

This is mostly a matter of common sense, but it is worth drawing the student’s attention to safety features. Many students will bring electrical appliances and, especially with the younger ones, it is quite acceptable to check that they are using them in a safe manner. You should also draw students’ attention to extra precautions

Read More
What are Melton College’s official accreditations?

Accreditation, what it means

Melton College is accredited by a body called ‘Accreditation UK’. They inspect the quality of the services we provide. To remain accredited, we have to abide by a large number of criteria. These include:

W15 No more than four students will be accommodated in a Homestay at any one time.

Read More
What does a Homestay host provide?

Requirements for providing homestay accommodation.

Read More
How does the College look after the welfare of its students?

All Students

Melton College places great emphasis on the welfare of all of our students, not just those under 18.

If you need to see a doctor or a dentist during your stay, we can arrange this. If you have any problems, or are unhappy, about anything during your stay students are

Read More
What time is curfew?

When at Melton College, if you are under 18, the College will, in certain circumstances, make decisions on behalf of your parents. The College has decided that all students under the age of 18 should return home by certain curfew times. See ‘Read More’ for details.

Read More
My child is on a course at Melton College, what do I do if I am worried about anything?

We appriciate it can be stressful when your child is away from home, especially if it is the first time.

Read More
What extra care and support is given to students under 18?

Although the welfare of all students is important to us, Melton College has a number of extra welfare regulations set in place for students under 18. Please ‘Read More’ for details.

Read More
What do I do if I am ill and cannot attend class?

If you are ill, you, or your host MUST RING the College to let us know that you are not attending school. (01904) 622250

What happens if there is a fire?

There are fire safety notices in all the classrooms and in all the common areas around the College. Please read these carefully and ask if there is anything you do not understand.

Read More
What do I do if I have an injury at the College?

A number of staff are First Aid trained and the designated First Aid Point is at Reception

Read More
Do I need to tell the College about any allergies or illness?

In order to look after you, we must know if you have any allergies or illnesses.

Read More
What do I do if I need to see a dentist?

If you require a dentist, you can ask the Welfare Officer to arrange an appointment. In the UK, you will be expected to pay for treatment, and unless in great pain, you are unlikely to be given an appointment immediately

What do I do if I need to see a doctor?

If you need to see a doctor please speak to our Welfare Officer. If appropriate the College will arrange an appointment with a doctor. All permanent Melton college staff are also trained in Emergency First Aid and our Principal is a First Aid Trainer.

If you are unable to attend College, please ask your host

Read More
What is the emergency contact number?

The emergency mobile number is an emergency service for matters that cannot wait until the next working morning! The emergency contact number should be used when emergency contact is needed outside of the College’s regular opening hours.

Read More
What is Melton College’s safeguarding policy?

Melton College has a moral and legal obligation to provide students with the highest possible standard of care. Melton College is committed to devising and implementing policies so that all staff are aware of their responsibilities to safeguard children from harm and abuse.

Read More
What are the rules for students under 18?

If you are under 18 years old then the law says that the College is responsible for you. This does not mean we think you are a child but it does mean that we must think about what is best for you in the way that a parent would.

Read More
Who do I speak to, if I have a problem?

If you have a problem or are unhappy about anything the Principal, Academic Manager and Head of Student Services are happy to talk to you, in confidence. You may also wish to speak to your teachers.

Read More
Do you ever ask students to leave the College?

We would ask students to leave the College if they behaved in an unacceptable manner, did not attend class, broke the law, or did not pay for their course/accomodation. Please ‘Read More’ for details.

Read More
Facebook icon Twitter icon