Melton College, York (we, us, our) is committed to protecting and respecting your (you, your) privacy. We take the privacy of all of our customers and other users seriously and take great care to protect your personal information.
137 Holgate Road
York YO26 4DH
Tel: +44 (0) 1904 622250
Privacy & General Principles
Please read the following policy carefully to understand what information we may collect from you, how we may use it, and your rights in respect of our use.
We will be guided by the following principles when processing data:
• We will only collect data for specific and specified purposes; we will make it clear at the point when we request your information, what we are collecting it for and how we are going to use it.
• We will not collect data beyond what is necessary to accomplish those purposes; we will minimise the amount of information we collect from you to what we need to deliver the services required.
• We will collect and use your personal information only if we have sensible business reasons for doing so.
• We will not use data for purposes other than that for which the data was collected, except as stated herein, or with prior consent.
• We will seek to verify and/or update data periodically, and we will accept requests for amendments of personal data.
• We will apply high technical standards to make our processing of data secure.
• Except when stated herein, we will not store data in identifiable form longer than is necessary to accomplish its purpose, or as is required by law.
We collect information on you:
• When you apply for a course at Melton College
• When as an ETO, you apply for a course on behalf of a client
• When you contact us for information, via our website, by email, by phone, in person or via social media channels.
• When you work with us in a commercial capacity (for example as an ETO or partner or as a homestay host)
• When you sign up for a newsletter or subscribe to other services.
• When you use our website.
• If you post on our social media channels or on our website or blog
Legal bases for processing your data
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) establishes 6 legal bases on which we can process your data: these are Consent, Contract, Legal Obligation, Vital Interests, Public Task and Legitimate Interests. For further information about these legal bases and fuller definitions, please refer to the ICO website
We use different legal bases for processing your data depending on the purpose for collecting your data in the first instance:
• For all data collected as part of the process of booking courses or registering as a homestay host or as an ETO, we process this information under Contract. We will use your data to manage the interaction between parties and share it with College staff involved in the delivery of the course, accommodation providers and transport providers as appropriate. Homestay providers information will be shared, as needed with hosted students, their families, ETO’s (if applicable and group leaders and/or organisers (as applicable). When required by law to do so, we may also process your data under Legal Obligation.
• For all data collected as part of the process of booking any related service such as airport transfers and accommodation. We process this information using Legitimate Interest. This may include sending your data to trusted partners. When required by law to do so, we may also process your data under Legal Obligation.
• Signing up for newsletters on our website is managed under Consent. From time to time, we may use elements of the data you supply to target the messages we send to you. For example, we may use your location to send you information about an event or opportunity happening in your area. If you visit us, we may take photographs or videos of you, and the use and processing of these is also managed through Consent.
• For all data collected as part of managing our relationship with commercial partners, such as ETOs, Government Agencies and Schools, we process using Contract, Legitimate Interest and Legal Obligation, namely the maintenance of the commercial relationship.
• We may process any of your personal data identified in this policy where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure. The legal basis for this processing is Legitimate Interest, namely the protection and assertion of our legal rights, your legal rights and the legal rights of others.
• We may process any of your personal data identified in this policy where necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, or obtaining professional advice. The legal basis for this processing is Legitimate Interest, namely the proper protection of our organisation against risks.
• We may process any of your personal data identified in this policy where necessary for the purposes of obtaining feedback on courses, accommodation, college and ETO services and tuition. The legal basis for this processing is Legitimate Interest, namely the proper protection of our organisation against risks.
We will make it as easy as we can for you to opt out of unwanted processing under Consent, providing it does not restrict our ability to provide you with the primary service you have requested.
We collect data for a wide range of purposes. Data is managed to ensure that it is either erased from our system when it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected, retained for legal reasons, or pseudonymised and/or minimised and retained.
We are not responsible for the security and processing of data which is held, processed or sent via our partners’ systems. However, we require all of our partners overseas to confirm that they will process data securely in line with the requirements of GDPR or the equivalent in their country. We do not sell your data at any time.
Information collected via our website
How we will use information collected by our website
We may use information held about you in the following ways:
• To book courses
• To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer.
• To send you our newsletters or provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
• To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
• To notify you about changes to our service.
Links from our website
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
We use a single cookie, “sessionid”, to identify you when you visit our website, keep you logged in as you navigate our website, and store temporary information during the course application process. This functional cookie does not identify any individual, and is required for the correct operation of our website.
• Google Analytics – used to analyse the usage of our website.
• Facebook – used to offer “like” and “share” buttons to like/share pages from our website on Facebook.
• Twitter – used to offer “follow” buttons to follow MELTON COLLEGE, YORK on Twitter.
• LinkedIn – used to offer “follow” buttons to follow MELTON COLLEGE, YORK on LinkedIn.
• AddThis – used to offer “share” buttons for various social networks.
• YouTube – used to embed videos on our website.
• LiveChat – provides a chat service to our website visitors.
Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can however obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links:
• https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en (Chrome);
• https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences (Firefox);
• http://www.opera.com/help/tutorials/security/cookies/ (Opera);
• https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies (Internet Explorer);
• https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411 (Safari); and
• https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10-microsoft-edge-and-privacy (Edge).
Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites. If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
Personal Information and your rights
You have the right to rectify, erase or restrict the processing of your data subject to the exceptions outlined in this policy. You also have the right to withdraw consent to the processing of information for which you have previously given consent. You can contact us at any time to have these details removed from our database or to update this information, subject to satisfactory proof of your identity. You can read more about your individual rights on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.
You may also request access to the data we hold on you. Provision of such information will be subject to:
a) The payment of a fee (currently fixed at £10)
b) The supply of appropriate evidence of your identity.
We may withhold personal information that you request to the extent permitted by the law.
To make any of these requests relating to your personal data, please contact us in the first instance at:
137 Holgate Road
York YO26 4DH
Legal information and how to contact us
Any request for information (personal information, requesting a correction, or to make a complaint) should be addressed in the first place to the Co-ordinator, Melton College, York, who can also be contacted at:
137 Holgate Road
York YO26 4DH
If you are not satisfied with the way your request is handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office. However, Melton College, York is a not-for profit organisation that qualifies for exemption from registration with the ICO, so is not registered.
Tel: +44 303 123 1113