Login as:   Student   |   Applicant   |   Agent   |   Host

What are the rules of the road in the UK?

FAQs: All

What are the rules of the road in the UK?

In the UK, cars drive on the left. When you cross the road, you should look right, look left and then look right again before crossing. Cars have right of way on the road and pedestrians should only cross at marked pedestrian crossings.

Where can I find places of worship in York?

In the College, students are invited to use the Prayer Room for private prayers. We would ask you to respect the privacy of students using the room for this purpose. Please ‘read more’ to see list of places of worship in or near York.

Read More
What do I do if I am ill and cannot attend class?

If you are ill, you, or your host MUST RING the College to let us know that you are not attending school. (01904) 622250

I am a long term student, can I take a break during my course?

Some long term students may wish to take a break at some point during their course. The College is happy for students to do so, however, all breaks must be agreed with the College in advance.

Read More
What rules do I need to follow on excursions?

Please check you have received and understood any safety information given to you before visits and excursions. Make sure you follow safety instructions given on the trip either verbally or in writing by the staff leading the trip or by staff employed at the venue. ‘Read More’ for full list of rules.

Read More
What happens if there is a fire?

There are fire safety notices in all the classrooms and in all the common areas around the College. Please read these carefully and ask if there is anything you do not understand.

Read More
What are the College’s opening hours?

The College and grounds are open every weekday from 08.30~17.00. The College is not open at the weekend.

Read More
What are the rules in class?

In order to get the most out of your experience at the College, there are a number of rules we expect students to follow in class. Please ‘Read More’ for details

Read More
What do I do if I have an injury at the College?

A number of staff are First Aid trained and the designated First Aid Point is at Reception

Read More
Do I need to tell the College about any allergies or illness?

In order to look after you, we must know if you have any allergies or illnesses.

Read More
What do I do if I need to see a dentist?

If you require a dentist, you can ask the Welfare Officer to arrange an appointment. In the UK, you will be expected to pay for treatment, and unless in great pain, you are unlikely to be given an appointment immediately

What do I do if I need to see a doctor?

If you need to see a doctor please speak to our Welfare Officer, if appropriate the College will arrange an appointment with a doctor. All permanent Melton college staff are also trained in Emergency First Aid, and our Welfare Officer Advanced First Aid training and our Principal is a First Aid Trainer. If you are…

Read More
What will my course be like?

We have a range of courses for students of all ages and abilities from Elementary to Advanced levels! All our courses are based in the College building so all our students get the same high standard of facilities.

Read More
What is the emergency contact number?

The emergency mobile number is an emergency service for matters that cannot wait until the next working morning! The emergency contact number should be used when emergency contact is needed outside of the College’s regular opening hours.

Read More
What is Melton College’s safeguarding policy?

Melton College has a moral and legal obligation to provide students with the highest possible standard of care. Melton College is committed to devising and implementing policies so that all staff are aware of their responsibilities to safeguard children from harm and abuse.

Read More
What are the rules for students under 18?

If you are under 18 years old then the law says that the College is responsible for you. This does not mean we think you are a child but it does mean that we must think about what is best for you in the way that a parent would.

Read More
How can I make a complaint?

We want students to enjoy themselves! If students are unhappy about anything please come and speak to a memeber of staff, as soon as possible. If you are a parent/guardian and wish to raise a concern please email english@meltoncollege.co.uk

Read More
Excursion to Robin Hood’s Bay and Whitby

This is a test page which, in due course will contain information about the excursion to Robin Hood’s Bay and Whitby.

Read More
Where will my IELTS test take place?

All modules of the IELTS test in York will take place at Melton College, 137 Holgate Road, York, YO24 4DH

How do I apply for an IELTS exam online?

Candidates need to visit https://ielts.britishcouncil.org and follow the online instructions. You will then have 3 days to send me; 1 photocopy of your identity document and the test fee. See below for payment methods and acceptable forms of ID.

Do I have to stay in Homestay?

No, we also have our very own hotel, Bishop’s, next door to the College! You can also arrange your own accommodation.

What type of restaurants are there in York?

For a small city York has an excellent independent restaurant scene! As well as a number of large chain restaurants, there are independent restaurants and cafes to suit all tastes and budgets. We have a list of places we personally recommend but a great place to start is also “The Good Food Guide” and “Indie…

Read More
What if I am delayed by circumstances beyond my control?

Melton College may be able to offer you another test date depending on availability.  You would be required to provide evidence of why you were unable to arrive on time.

What if I feel my test result is wrong?

You can apply for an ‘Enquiry on Results’ at your test centre within six weeks of the test date.

Read More
How soon can I re-sit the IELTS test?

There is no limit on sitting the test.  However, IELTS recommends that you do additional study before taking the test again.  Melton College offer preparatory courses and language classes, please contact us for details.  You can also improve your skills by using the IELTS Official Practice Materials – ask for details.

What if I lose my Test Report Form?

Test Report Forms are valid for 2 years. Copies cannot be sent to candidates but IELTS will forward a Test Report Form to your relevant institution or embassy.

Read More
When will I receive my test results?

Your Test Report Form will be posted to you 13 days after your test date. Melton College also offers an Online Results Service which can be accessed on the 13th day, you will receive details via email a few says before the results are released.

Read More
Who sets the ‘pass’ mark for the IELTS test?

There is no pass or fail in IELTS.  Scores are graded on the 9-band system.  Each educational institution or organisation sets its own level of IELTS scores to meet its individual requirements.

How are the tests marked?

IELTS uses a 9-band scoring system to measure and report test scores in a consistent manner.  You receive individual band scores for Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking and an Overall Band Score on a band scale from one to nine.

Facebook icon Twitter icon